Some darling young yellow squash and zucchini, tender and just off the vine, called out to me at our local farmer’s market. With fresh corn and tomatoes just starting to appear, I couldn’t resist this sweet/tangy vegetable mix, loaded with antioxidants and healthy fiber. You can serve it warm, at room temperature, or even slightly chilled, so it’s perfect for a picnic, good with roast chicken, grilled shrimp or fish. Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed, plus 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or crushed hot red pepper
- Kernels from 2 ears of corn.
- 5 or 6 small yellow squash and zucchini (about 12 ounces total), sliced or diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a large skillet, sauté the onion in the olive oil over moderately high heat until soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the bell peppers, garlic, cumin seeds and Aleppo pepper. Cook for 3 minutes longer.
2, Add the corn and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until it is almost tender. Add the squash, tomatoes, ground cumin, and oregano. Sauté for 3 minutes longer.
3. Pour in the chicken stock or water, cover, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the squash and zucchini are just tender. Season with the lime juice and salt and black pepper to taste.